August 5th, 2012 Leave a comment Go to comments

Minutes of DWHC Planning Meeting 11th June 2012

1. Present

Carol Cameron, Mick Gilgunn, Mike Hart, Elizabeth Jones, Alan Coin, Jem Lindon

2. Apologies

Steve Cook, Gary Heather, Shirley Franklin, Andrew Robbins, Pam Zinkin

3. Proposed Islington KONP (Keep Our NHS Public)

General discussion introduced by MH, previously of Hackney KONP, to
consider forming a KONP group in Islington to operate alongside DWHC,
to broaden campaign and hopefully attract more activists. Elizabeth Jones
and Alan Coin, of Islington Talking News, discussed their campaign and
links to DWHC aims, and suggested they could advertise any new group
in the Talking News monthly newsletter; kindly provided a CD sample of
the newsletter. It was agreed to send out initial email during summer to
establish level of public support for an Islington KONP group; if positive
interest to consider launching group in September. Also to promote new
group at public meeting and local festivals. MG confirmed could distribute
info electronically eg IHoops and Islington Trades Council and highlight at
meetings. Further discussion planned at next meeting.

ACTION: MH to draft initial email and send to JL. MG to email JL on dates
of local festivals eg the canal festival and ecology centre festival at Gillespie
Park, both early September. JL to follow up offer from Islington Talking
News if required.

4. Report back from London KONP meeting

JL and CC reported back from recent London KONP meeting, including
protest Saturday 30th June at Virgin stores against Richard Branson’s
takeover of GP surgeries, including London’s Oxford Street, and building
for ‘Reclaiming Our NHS’ conference Saturday 23rd June, Friends Meeting
House, Euston. Also plans to target Sainsbury’s to oppose plans to take over
pharmacy services within St Thomas’ Hospital – DHL have already taken
over postal services – and possibly Whittington Hospital. Leafleting planned
in coming week outside Whittington Hospital leading up to conference,
some members may be able to join action.

ACTION: JL to contact SC for availability, and email leafleting times during
week at Whittington Hospital to members.

5. Mental Health update

CC reported on Islington LINK meeting, and discussion of current
concerns with dental charges. CC reported that Islington ‘LINK’ is soon to
become ‘Healthwatch’, and encouraged members to join. CC gave report
of successful campaign to save services at Isledon Road Resource Centre,
noting particular encouragement from Catherine West who raised her
concern about the proposed cuts to services and gave her support to CC’s
campaign. JL emphasised the considerable work CC has put in to protect
vital services for service users in recent months, CC also cited SF’s support
and input as instrumental to the success.

6. Local and national campaigns

A&E and maternity services at St Helier Hospital near Sutton, Surrey are
threatened with closure. MG reported that Unison and the local Trades
Council have a strong campaign on this. JL suggested DWHC show visible
support for Chase Farm Hospital where closure has been confirmed by
joining picket with banner, if people are available.

ACTION: MG to check Unison and local Trades Council involvement in these
campaigns. MH to check campaign details of St Helier Hospital and email JL.
JL to make contact with Chase Farm Hospital campaign for details of picket.

7. Campaign against Foundation Status, Whittington Hospital.

JL emphasised that DWHC have not yet heard or seen any public
information regarding the FS consultation, which ended in March this year.
Questions remain, have the public been informed, this needs following up.

8. Website and Whitt Watch

JL reported that DWHC’s website designer Ian Shacklock is always looking
for feedback on design of the website, and encouraged members to
feedback at future meetings. Discussion of Whitt Watch, reporting
facility on website suggested by SF, and design of logo and possibility
of including ‘hover’ style information over image of black cat, giving
explanation of its aims.

ACTION: JL to check feasibility of the above with Ian and request to add to
website in near future.

9. Meeting venue

Discussion of alternative meeting venue, as current one has become
unsuitable. Various options discussed, including Islington Town Hall.
ACTION: JL to check suitable pubs in local area – following meeting JL
checked out The Florin pub, 563 Holloway Road N19 4DQ in front of
Whittington Park; warm, welcoming and quiet, agreed to make this new
meeting venue until further notice.

Next meeting, first Monday of month, Monday 2nd July, 7pm.

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Videos, Slideshows and Podcasts by Cincopa Wordpress Plugin